Saturday, January 2, 2010

Twenty Ten or Two Thousand Ten

Saturday, January 2, 2010
Wow! 2009 has come and gone and now we are entering a new decade! It was hard for me to comprehend all that has happened in 10 short years......in my own life and our society. It may not even seem like much until you really think about it. We had the closest presidental race in history between Bush and Gore (remember that??) and since have had two other presidential elections. We went through some great tragedies like September 11th, the Challenger exploding in 2003, the Tsumani that left 200,000 dead, Hurricane Katrina, a war that has been going on for almost 7 years, and most recently, a recession that has affected everyone (if you haven't been affected directly, I'm sure you can name someone that has).

Look at your own life now. What has happened in the last 10 years? Are you where you imagined yourself to be? I examined the last ten years and was ultimately surprised by the changes and experiences I have had. I graduated from middle school, high school, college, and will be finishing my Masters Degree this May. That equals A LOT OF SCHOOL and it will be a big change after May to not have classes at all. I had the experience of teaching a class and chaperoning the same high school field trips that I once took. I've been to an island, Vegas, the Rockies, an abandoned isane asylum, and explored the downtown city of Chicago so far. I've seen countless weddings, made and lost friends, had heartbreaks, have seen wonderful expansions to my family and witnessed part of my family torn apart. I've welcomed the birth of two little cousins and said goodbye to my grandpa. I have received and parted with my first and only car I have owned thus far. I watched as 6 of the 7 Harry Potter books were transformed onscreen and the truly amazing invention of the Ipod changed the way I listened to music. I found priorities, changed some values that I had previously held and gained a bit of wisdom along the way. Let's hope the next ten years only get better!
Stephanie

P.S. I do plan on blogging a lot more than I did in 2010
P.S.S. The reason for the title: There is this massive debate among grammer-correct-people about whether we should pronounce 2010 as Twenty-Ten or Two Thousand Ten.......and my answer is........whichever one tickles your fancy. I won't correct you if you say either one and I hope that this debate among um....grammatical experts can be resolved peacefully. Thanks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...as long as you don't say oh-ten, I'm on board. :-)

Love you and love your show!