Thursday, February 5, 2009

It Really is a Small World....

Thursday, February 5, 2009
So after spending five years on my university's campus as an undergrad and now working there while obtaining my grad degree, I didn't think that my home life had any connection to the university. I went there knowing no one -- students or faculty -- and many had never even heard of my town.....until today. Today I found out that a teacher, who had a meeting with a co-worker of mine, knew that small town of mine. In fact, her father had taught at that school -- had taught me. He was one of my favorite, most memorable teachers in school. After he retired when I was in high school, I found out that his young granddaughter contracted a rare illness and died very suddenly. Although I didn't know the family personally, I still remember her name and how upset I was that something so tragic could happen to someone so young and happen to the granddaughter of someone who was so genuine and had such a down-to-earth enlightened view of life. That really stuck with me......so here comes the revelation that had eluded me for the past five years. On my campus is a tree. I have past this tree so many times without a second glance but I don't think I can do that anymore. I found out today that this particular tree was dedicated to the memory of that little girl. I guess it really is a small world and we are all just a a couple connections away from each other. And, honestly, I don't think I'd want it any other way.
Until Next Time......

No comments: