Thursday, May 21, 2009

Don't Dip the Sandals in the Lemonade

Thursday, May 21, 2009
If you are wondering about the title of this blog, the two images I think of when summer is mentioned are flip flops and a tall, iced glass of lemonade. This is my first week of having no work. I'm liking it now but I know by next week, unless I get busy fast, I'm gonna hate it. I like work and the satisfaction it gives me and the routine I have. No, that does not mean I'm totally against spontaneity (in fact, it is a must), but I like knowing what my next day is going to be like -- at least on outline of what it is going to be like. I'm a planner...and I like plans. Summer jobs have dramatically dropped off and it shows in the classifieds with very few jobs (much less summer jobs) to choose from. I do mow a lawn for $30 a week, will do a rare fill-in at the Mary Kay office, and will pray that my textbooks will sell on Half.com (I've sold one!!). I have saved up a good amount of money in case this summer was a jobless summer that would let me travel and bit and maybe work on some personal growth. I've already started this week with summer plans:
  • I cleaned out the room, brought up the summer clothes, tied up loose ends at work, and caught up on emails, got my car fixed ($675 later for full brake replacement...ugh), almost got graduation cards mailed out, mom's birthday.....and all that jazz
  • Became the designated house cleaner since my parents do not charge me rent or make me buy groceries. If I'm not rushing off to work, I better make this house my work, so I make sure to pick up, vaccuum, and unload/reload dishwasher each day among other little things so show my appreciation
And I've started filling up the calendar with events, travel, and things that I hope to cross off my life list or continue things that I have started and quit:
  1. I am heading to Decatur, IL with my friend Emily to attend a Haunting Conference. I'm so lucky to have a friend that is as much into haunted places and the paranormal as I am. We are staying two days, taking a haunted tour, participating in a seance, and meeting some haunted book authors!
  2. Las Vegas Here I Come -- and you thought I wasn't spontaneous enough! Within two days of being invited by my friend Traci, I had my flight booked. Do I know what we are going to do? Nope. Where we are staying? Nope. But I'm excited!
  3. Weddings -- One in July and one in August of an old roommate and a co-worker of mine which leads me to....
  4. Getting in shape!! I have started and quit so many times and I always have the excuse of not having enough time....NO MORE! I've been doing pretty good actually. The bad thing is I walked a lot at work and didn't have much time to eat a lot and that might pose a problem.
  5. Turning 23!! On June 13th
  6. Cooking -- I am forcing myself to learn to cook meals and be better....this will be tough because I do not find cooking enjoyable yet but hopefully I will get motivated....I need to watch Ratatouille....that always gets me motivated
  7. GNO -- Otherwise known as the Girls Night Out that me, my mom, and my aunt have traditionally done for the past four years. We take 3 or four days and head to different places....Shippsewana, IN (Amish country), Galena, Gurnee, etc.
  8. Horseback Riding -- My life list has learning to gallop and canter a horse. Found a stable at a reasonable price. Will go there the 1st week of June and sign up!
  9. READING -- Have wanted to read all the classics that have never made it into my hands. Oh, and I've started a Book Club. Wanted to follow through with that as well
  10. Scrapbook and writing -- starting with keeping up this blog and starting to turn the pictures and cards and letters and ticket stubs into something that isn't a pile or a box.
  11. Love -- don't want to touch this one too much....I know what the situation is....It's in a very uncertain zone right now and I'm afraid to push it one way or another just yet....so having a bit of faith that circumstances will change somehow before summer is up
Pheww.....wow.....let summer begin!
Steph

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Hunny...I so envy you. I wish I didn't have a job right now (although, that may happen whether I like it or not). Or at least had some money saved up! Your adventures sound like so much fun!

And you know my thoughts on the Love subject. You'll never know if you don't try. ;-) I love you and want to see you happy!